Egremont Historical Commisson
The Egremont Historical Commission (EHC) was established on October 10, 1974 under Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 40, Section 8D for the preservation and protection of Egremont’s historic resources. Its mission is to preserve and protect Egremont’s history and historic resources.
The Egremont Historical Commission consists of seven members appointed to three year terms by the Select board. EHC members have a personal interest in historic preservation in general, and an interest in identifying and protecting the historic resources of Egremont in particular.
Meet our Members:
Susan Bachelder – Chair
After a 30 year career in international film production and advertising, Susan retired to her home on Main Street in the heart of bustling downtown Egremont. She attended Simons Rock in Great Barrington as a continuing studies student and graduated in 2003 with a BA in Classics. She continues to pursue postgraduate work in Late Antique studies while she volunteers to teach recorder at the South Egremont School. She is also a member of the Medieval Academy of America, The Dante Society, The National Arts Club in NYC and The Egremont Green Committee.
Bill Wood – Vice Chair
Bill has resided in Egremont since his birth April 22, 1937, at Fairview Hospital. Educated in the local schools ( South Egremont School, class of 1951), graduating with high honors from Searles High School in 1955. Attending University of Pennsylvania with a full General Motors Scholarship for four years and graduating with a BA in History in 1959, Bill served in the Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Connecticut National Guards for six years, while working for the Insurance Company of North America as a casualty underwriter. Retiring recently from the insurance field after 40 years, Bill lives in the Homelott Residence, built in 1824 on Hillsdale Road, as a fourth family generation, with his wife of 49 years, Lynn. Active in local affairs all his life, member of the First Congregational Church, former Egremont Tax Collector, current Zoning Board of Appeals member, and 30 year Auxiliary Connecticut State Trooper, and collector of rare Austin-Healey sports cars, Wood remains totally committed and interested in the Town of Egremont.
Jim Parrish – Recording Secretary
Gregg Siter – Treasurer
James Nicoll Cooper
Nic Cooper, BA & PhD Harvard, MA University of Michigan, has been an Egremont resident since 1970, and an EHC member since 1985. Specializing in social and economic history, he was a university professor in Canada for 20 years before retiring to a second career with PriceWaterhouseCoopers.
David Vosburgh – Associate Member
A lifelong resident of the Berkshires, David attended both North & South Egremont schools in first and second grades and graduated from Mt. Everett in 1975. A former lead Web designer in the Global Communications department of GE Advanced Materials, he now serves as Art Director for the Children’s Education Division of the Golden West Humanitarian Foundation in Woodland Hills, CA, and is involved in producing illustrated books aimed at educating children in SE Asia and other war-torn areas throughout the world about the dangers of unexploded ordnance.
Catherine Kane – Associate Member
Mrs. Kane, her husband, Bill, and their two children, Fiona and Matthew, moved to Egremont ten years ago. Mrs. Kane holds a BA in Japanese studies from UMASS. Her business and passion however is in textiles. She is the owner of Brookside Quiltworks where she has brought her passion and expertise in the making and restoration of quilts and antique fabrics to Egremont. She has served as President of the Berkshire Quilt Guild, and offers a unique venue for local quilt artists to exhibit their work in a gallery environment.
Betty Duryea – Member Emeritus
Betty Duryea, Town Historian and lifelong Egremont resident, was Chairman of the EHC and instrumental in organizing and improving the Archive, which supports the EHC’s work.
Margaret Candee – Member Emeritus