Timeline of Egremont History

Date/Year Event
c. 1700 First white settlers arrived in what is now Egremont.
April 25, 1724 Earliest recorded landed deed between settlers & Stockbridge Indians.
c. 1730 Permanent settlement of Egremont.
1731 Spoor’s (Spurr) Grant: Captain John Spoor (Spurr) purchased 4,000 acres of land from Stockbridge Indians for 30 pounds, in the area of what is today known as North Egremont.
July 1734 Konkapot is commissioned a Captain and Umpachene a Lieutenant in the Colonial Service by Governor Belcher of Massachusetts.
October 20 , 1740 Indians lease Andrew Karner a portion of reservation property.
1742 A bridge is built over the Green River linking Egremont with Great Barrington
1756 Shawenon Purchase: Shawenon Purchase; Stockbridge Indians sell a substantial tract of land to Egremont Proprietors for 20 pounds. This marks one of the final significant land transactions between the Stockbridge Indians and the early settlement families for the land in what now comprises North and South Egremont.
March 1757 First Proprietors Meeting is held to discuss consolidating, surveying, and dividing the newly-acquired Proprietors’ lands.
February 13, 1760 The Village of Egremont is officially incorporated into the District of Sheffield. Town’s name is attributed to the English Lord Charles Windham, Earl of Egremont.
1767 Fist Meeting House is built on Town House Hill Road
February 20, 1770 First Church of Christ is incorporated by the Rev. Thomas Strong, Pastor of the Church of Christ in New Marlborough
1774 Ephraim Fitch, Capt. Timothy Kellogg, and Samuel Colver are Egremont’s representatives to a Berkshire County Convention called in Stockbridge to draft a set of resolutions in support of the Revolutionary cause. The petition essentially bans the purchase and consumption of British goods and wares.
1775/76 General Henry Knox passes through Egremont to aid General George Washington
1787 The Baptist Church is organized and Jeduthan Grey is appointed Elder
1800 U.S. Census puts Egremont’s population at 835
c. 1810 Methodist Episcopal Society is formed
1801 County Road extension is built from Great Barrington to Sheffield, passing through Egremont on the way to New Marlborough.
1808 The Church Baptist Church is incorporated under the name the Baptist Society in Egremont.
November 22, 1816 Congregation Church of South Egremont is organized
1818 The first post office in North Egremont was established in Webb’s Tavern Josiah Webb was the first Postmaster (1818-1827)
1820 Great Barrington becomes station on the stage couch route from Hartford to Albany, bringing more labor into the region
1821 The Congregational Church of South Egremont organizes its first Sunday school
January 24, 1824 First Post Office in Hollenback, later known as South Egremont, is established at the N.K. Bills Store (today the Hawthorne Apartments). The first Postmaster was Joseph Benjamin.
1829 Known as the “Gravel Year” – Egremont embarks on its largest road expansion project to date, spending $846 on the massive amount of gravel brought into the town, which is stomped down by its citizens to create the Town’s roads.
1830 Methodist Episcopal Society builds a church on the turnpike on land purchased from David Wheeler.
1832 The Congregational Church of South Egremont erects its present edifice at a cost of $2,500.
February 1835 Hollenbeck officially changes its name to South Egremont
1838 Proceedings from town meetings and other documents during the revolution were destroyed by the burning of the store of Sawyer and Race in North Egremont
January 9, 1842 “Little York” changes its name to North Egremont
1850 U.S. Census puts Egremont’s population at 1,013; Egremont is known as mostly an agricultural community.
1850 South Egremont Post Office is moved westerly into Town in both the buildings that today house Farshaw Books and Lance Vermeulen Real Estate.
1855 The Parsonage east of the Congregation Church of South Egremont is purchased.
1859 Methodist Episcopal Church building is sold to Thompson Wheeler and moved to his farm where it is used as a wagon shed.
December 18, 1861 New Methodist Church building is dedicated at its present location on Route 71 in North Egremont.
c. 1870 Town of Egremont is comprised of 93 farms, 180 dwelling houses, 25 voters, 931 inhabitants, 5 school districts, 2 flouring mills, and 3 saw mills.
1878 Town consists of 239 voters and 179 dwelling houses.
1878 Town reports spending $769.21 on its poor.
1880 Egremont’s population is 875
1887 The Baptist Society of Egremont erects the present Baptist church in North Egremont
1888 The South Egremont one room school house reports 60 students for the school year; the North Egremont School reports 26-37 students; and the West Egremont School reports 25-27 students.
1890 The women of Egremont form the “Progressive Farmer’s Club.”
1891 Town is hit by scarlet fever; many of the Town’s young and old fall ill and die.
1900 Egremont Town Census is 1,758
1909 Electrical power is brought into Town in anticipation of the trolley.
1909 Dalzell Axel Company Board of Directors votes to cease manufacturing; Daniel Knowlton’s new quarry business closes down.
December 21, 1910 The first trolley “rolls” into Egremont, connecting Great Barrington and South Egremont.
1924 Egremont’s population decreases to 441 residents.
c. 1930 Maj. Hugh Smiley establishes and becomes first president of the Olde Egremont Association, which bought and restored historic properties in Egremont as part of a plan for the beautification, and economic development of the town as a resort community and seasonal destination spot.
1933 1933- Methodist church building becomes new home of the North Egremont Men’s Club.
1939 Catamount opened as a surface lift ski area. After closing briefly at the end of WWII, the area re-opened and gradually expanded.
1945 Due to the efforts of the North Egremont Men’s Club, the first North Egremont volunteer fire department is formed and the first fire house is erected next door to the Methodist Church.
January 10, 1976 Opening ceremonies of the Knox Trail Reenactment started on Route 71 at the state line in Alford. Men proceeded through Alford and Egremont to Great Barrington.